Is it possible to not map databases to hosts at all?

All MAMP discussions around troubleshooting and anything related to MAMP. Be as detailed as possible here when posting an issue.
bunnerbob

Is it possible to not map databases to hosts at all?

Post by bunnerbob »

I'm a recent adopter of MAMP, having previously done the semi-manual Mac Apache/PHP/MySQL approach and wanting something easier to manage and migrate to new OS versions.

I'm using MAMP Pro 6.4.2.

My colleague uses an older version of MAMP - 5.x I believe. When he chooses a host and clicks on the Database tab he sees no list of databases, whether or not he chooses to filter by mapped databases. I see all my databases.

I seem to be unable to unmap a database from a host. When I uncheck the box and save it appears to stay unmapped, even when I stop/start in MAMP . However when I quit and relaunch MAMP, the database is remapped back to the host again.

If I create a new empty host I always have to manually enter port 80 and then save. When I do, MAMP always tries to update the database for the host, even if there isn't one, and it always says there was a problem updating it, and the error says "A WordPress installation may be non functional" even if the host may not be a WordPress site at all.

If I subsequently create a database for a site (directly in Sequel Ace), MAMP seems to bind it to a host automatically. Sometimes even to the wrong host I think, though I can't recall exactly.

What I would like is for MAMP to stop trying to be so smart, and to just ignore databases in what it does. I can handle all the DB stuff in Sequel Ace. I don't want it to bind a database to a host. I don't want it to try to update the database when I make changes to the host. I just want MAMP to handle setting up hosts and allowing me to choose PHP version and such.

Is there a way to turn off these database smarts?

I opened a ticket with support but it's been over three weeks since their last response and I don't think they know what to do with me.

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

- Bob
mampsupportmod
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to not map databases to hosts at all?

Post by mampsupportmod »

Could be a bug. In earlier versions this was a bug but I'm not on the latest version to confirm the behavior. Please let us know if they acknowledge this though
MAMP Support Forums is an unofficial support forum covering MAMP & MAMP Pro solution stacks.
bunnerbob

Re: Is it possible to not map databases to hosts at all?

Post by bunnerbob »

I noticed an update to 6.5. High hopes for a fix but alas, no.

If I uncheck the "map" box for a mapped database, save, then quit and relaunch MAMP, the database is mapped once more.