Port 80 Not Working

All MAMP discussions around troubleshooting and anything related to MAMP. Be as detailed as possible here when posting an issue.
coeyflyer

Port 80 Not Working

Post by coeyflyer »

Hello,

I installed MAMP 6.4 on a new Mac. I have the document root folder pointing to an ssd external drive directory that is Shared. I am and will be mostly working with Wordpress web sites for the time being. I am having an issue in that everything works fine when using port 8888 for apache, but once I change port to 80, I get the following errors:

Browser:
Forbidden 403: You don't have permission to access this resource.Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

Apache Log:
[core:crit] [pid 82015] (1)Operation not permitted: [client ::1:62812] AH00529: /Volumes/.../.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that '/Volumes/.../' is executable

I have gone through the http file and made sure my paths are correct. I have played with the rights for each folder and file. I have played with giving MAMP full disk access through Security and Privacy. I have also checked to see if anything else is running on port 80 from the CLI, and the only process running on port 80 is httpd.conf. I have tried other minor things I have found through my searches for a solution. It would appear that the two error messages would point me to a rights/permission issue, but I am confused as to why it works perfectly with port 8888 and then permissions come into play only when using port 80. I assume that there may be a reason beyond my knowledge, which is why I was hoping someone from this forum could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have...

Chris
mampsupportmod
Site Admin

Re: Port 80 Not Working

Post by mampsupportmod »

So as a test did you try port 80 and point your host to your local disk? Also, do you actually have a .htaccess file where it's looking? I don't know if wordpress creates it by default, usually you have to rename it to .htaccess after you want to change things.
MAMP Support Forums is an unofficial support forum covering MAMP & MAMP Pro solution stacks.
coeyflyer

Re: Port 80 Not Working

Post by coeyflyer »

Yes, I did try port 80 on local disk. I used the default htdocs folder and also created a sites folder in the Documents directory and both port 80 and 8888 worked just fine on local disk.

When I first setup MAMP I installed Wordpress while Apache was assigned to port 8888–which does setup an .htaccess file. So yes one is there. I also tried creating an .htaccess file and left blank which did not work. I tried creating a new Wordpress site on external drive with Apache set to port 80 and I just get a blank page 403 forbidden, no Apache log errors, but once I set port to 8888 it performs as expected.

It’s very bizarre… I could accept it if nothing worked from external drive but the fact that only port 80 on external drive is an issue is perplexing. In all honestly, I can find alternatives as a work around, but it bothers me that there is no apparent reason for it to not work…